We rode the excitement of having the floors done for awhile – we had a dance party, we slid around in our socks (the bamboo is very slippery!), we hosted our first guests by throwing a futon mattress on the floor and a string of white lights… And then got back to the work at hand.Getting the walls in. It was a long process – we found a deal on old-growth redwood tongue-and-groove paneling (pulled from under an old house in Eureka!), and began the slow process of sanding each board and treating it. Not an easy feat when it’s October in Humboldt and the rains have started. We treated the boards with a mixture of tongue oil and lemon extract – it looks beautiful, the grain of the wood really pops, it smells good, and it is non-toxic, so our girls were able to help in the process.
While we waited for sunny days to sand, we also worked on the “framing” of the existing walls of the bus. We needed these to have something to attach the paneling to, and it was, I have to admit, a pretty tedious process. We used 1×2 boards and attached them vertically every 15″ (or so) with self-drilling drywall screws.
Then we put some type of insulation in between, either the foam insulation we used under the floor, or some double bubble reflective insulation we had from another project like in the picture below.
And the final step was using a table saw and cutting the panels for the top sill. Yay the corner came together nicely!
And the nearly finished walls! The gap in the paneling on the right side of the bus where a woodstove will go to heat the bus (it will sit on top of the framed in wheel-well).
We have a couple things to finish up on the walls, such as the baseboards, some finishing edges, and caulking the gap between the paneling and the windows. Our next mini-projects are built-in shelves (one of which you can see the framing for in the above photos on the right hand side of this picture) and the next major project is the wiring of the bus! We hope to have more photos soon, but we’ll see how things progress….